2/9/16

Week 4 Reading Diary: Sita Sings the Blues Part A

This week we are reading a different version on The Ramayana. I think this reading will be similar to last week but I am excited to see the interpretations of a timeless story. I have chosen the video because I have a lot of other school work to do with week that is very challenging and I want to have something relaxing to do for this class.

  • Nina Paley must be a very creative person because her drawing style is very unique
  • I appreciate the reading guide the professor provided because it is hard to tell what characters are being represented when they don’t explicitly say their names.
  • I wonder if the Nina from the background story is supposed to be a cartoon representation of Nina Paley herself
  • I like the way Rama is draw. He looks like a very strong character.
  • Even though the film is called "Sita sings the blues" I expected to see more of Rama's thoughts
  • The way the story is told Ravana does not seem like a terrible character. He is shown to have only done one thing wrong which is capture Sita.
  • The narrators are my favorite character in the story but I am not sure how I would be able to add them to a story of mine.
  • I think the narrators are humorous and create a modern vibe. They sound like they are recalling the story as if it were told to them as children.
  • I have noticed that I have not heard of Lakshmana yet.
  • At the end of Part one Sita is rejoined with Rama and they are happy again. 
Rama with big muscles
Wikimedia
Reading Guide and film are found here

No comments:

Post a Comment